Welcome to Exceptional ChildSyb Owenssybo@sthelens.k12.or.us
503-366-7432SHHS room 22/Life Skills Transition Portable8:00 – 4:00 M - FEXCEPTIONAL CHILD
This course teaches the basic knowledge of Special Education and differing abilities. Students will meet with consultants such as Special Education Teachers, Occupational Therapists, Autism Specialists, and Speech Pathologists to discuss various special education issues and categories of special education. The subject of Autism will be the major concentration. Exceptional Child is a practicum class, and students will interact and gain hands on experience working with our Life Skills students.
Below are the ODE standards used for this course:
- Students will identify several disabilities and syndromes.
- Students will learn several research based teaching strategies and techniques specific to Autism.
- Students will demonstrate their knowledge in a practicum setting.
ERZ04.01 Display dignity and respect for others, especially when working with people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
ERZ05.01 Use responsive interpersonal and communication skills.
ERZ06.01 Analyze staff qualifications and workplace environments for careers within the field of education and related programsHandout Confidentiality/OIS/Respect/Role ModelHandout It's Nobody's FaultHandout What is Special Education?Handout Autism Components
Handout Strategies for Teaching Based on Autism Research
Handout Functional Assessment and Curriculum Based on Everyday Routines
1. If a student is absent from the class it is their responsibility to obtain missing handouts/info.
2. Current grade is available every week.
3. Grading Scale: P/NP
4. To receive a Pass students must participate in each "feedback" session, and turn in a final written or oral final essay.
· Have positive and consistent interaction and participation with the Life Skills students
· Seek out a Life Skills student to pair up with.
· Observe Teacher/Life Skills interaction as a model.
· Complete reading assignments before class begins.
· Keep electronic devices silenced.
· Arrive on time.
· Be respectful.
Students will be held to the behavioral expectations and consequences outlined in the Student Handbook.
- Link 1
- Link 2
- Link 3
- Link 4
- Link 5
Insert your photo here.