Database Research Links
The following databases and search engines listed here and in the navigational menu on the left are for assisting in your research. Please review advanced search criteria techniques as all databases will vary. *Some databases require a login.
Oregon students who access the databases away from school will need a user name and password. Please see your teacher or a library staff member for the information.
OSLIS / Gale Databases
Oregon School Library Information System (OSLIS)
The main web site that is a K-12 web portal providing access to quality licensed databases within an information literacy framework. *Accessing the databases outside of the district computer network will require a user name and password.
The following links can be accessed using the district computers.
- Search Gale Databases for St. Helens School District: (On school computers) is a powerful research tool that contains nearly 40 specialized databases to search. Providing in-depth, up-to-date information you need to conduct research across the full range of scholarly, academic, business and general interest topics. You choose where to search; all or a few resources. Gale is part of the Cengage Learning system.
- Gale PowerSearch for St. Helens School District: Discover a great collection of articles from thousands of Gale resources – magazines, journals, newspapers and books along with videos, images and podcast content – all brought to you by your library. Your search should always start here.*Must have log in for access.
- Gale Cengage Learning: Search by Library and Media Type, Subject Areas or by Publisher and even grade level. A comprehensive database engine.
- Topic Finder for St. Helens School District: A nice visualization wheel displaying search topics with related sources.
- Citation Maker : Choose between MLA and APA standard citation formats.
- Access My Library: One easy-to-use free app gives users access to the Gale databases iPod touch,® iPhone® or iPad.®
Gale Database Training Materials
- U.S. History in Context & GREENR [WMV 60 minutes]
- What is a Library Database? [WMV 60 minutes]
- Finding eResources to Support Library Programming [WMV 60 minutes]
- Recorded Webinars: All webinar training sessions provided through the Gale Product Training Calendar are recorded and available.
- Archived Webinars: Additional Training Webinars and On-Demand Guided Tutorials.
- Training Materials: A great resource for lesson plans, tip sheets, videos and more.