Math Playground, a site for elementary and middle school students to practice their math skills, offers the opportunity to play logic games, solve word problems, and watch math videos. http://www.mathplayground.com/
Talk about Math gives parents easy-to-use activities that teach and engage children in math.
Harcourt Math Glossary is an interactive math glossary for students in kindergarten through grade 6 that provides a searchable database of math terms, accompanied by illustrations and animated examples.
Khan Academy provides a mathematics education by way of YouTube. More than 900 videos covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance. Visit Khan Academy at http://www.khanacademy.org/
Check out the Book Adventure website at www.bookadventure.org. The following tips can help your child become a proficient, highly motivated, lifelong reader.
- Allow your child to choose his/her own books. When children read what they enjoy, they read more, they learn to love reading, and they become better readers.
- Lead by example. Be a reader yourself. When you spend time reading magazines, newspapers, books, etc., you demonstrate that reading is fun and useful.
- Make reading a family affair. Set aside a designated time when everyone can read and then talk about your books.
- Be involved in your child’s reading activities. Listen to him/her read, to help with difficult vocabulary and to ensure comprehension.
- Visit the St. Helens Library.
Book Adventure is a FREE reading motivation program for children in grades K-8. It is developed and funded by the Sylvan Learning Centers and Foundation. Book Adventure is designed to encourage students to read more often, for longer periods of time and with greater understanding. This site is unique in that your child can create a book list tailored to his/her own interests and reading level from over 7,000 recommended titles.
The site offers a variety of activities. Kid’s Zone has titles, games, quizzes, awards and tools to help your child read better. Parent’s Place offers a menu of fun ideas, informative articles and Internet tools to enhance your child’s education.