St. Helens High School
2375 Gable Rd.
St. Helens, Oregon 97051
St. Helens High School is a public high school located in St. Helens, Columbia County, Oregon.
St. Helens High School is a four-year comprehensive school serving 960 students in grades 9-12 from diverse backgrounds.
St. Helens High School will be a school in which students are challenged and held accountable to high expectations, and staff members are committed to excellence and are empowered and excited to teach. This will be a school where parents and adult community members are informed and involved in the education of the community’s high school students. St. Helens High School will be a school where all are treated with respect and dignity as students develop their academic, social and intellectual skills in a non-threatening environment.
We are focused on both career readiness education and rigorous academic opportunities to prepare students for success in four-year university, community college and trade apprenticeship programs.
- AP Classes; US History, European History, Biology, Chemistry
- Dual College Credit partnership with Portland State University, Western Oregon University, Mt Hood Community College, Portland Community College
- Writing, Research, Calculus, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish
- Automotive Technology, Chef School/Lion Catering, Building Construction, Carpentry, Business Technology, Drafting, Child Development and Education, Pre-Engineering, Metals and Manufacturing
- Mikes' Automotive; a student-based auto diagnostic and repair business, recognized by AAA as an “Approved Auto Care Center,” the first high school-based automotive shop to be recognized by AAA in the country.
- Building Construction - Renovations and Remodeling Program purchases, restores and re-sells dilapidated houses while gaining invaluable training in an abundance of career fields by learning market analysis, purchasing procedures, planning and the construction work itself. Students work alongside local contractors while performing all the work that does not require a license. Building students also construct entire “tiny houses” completely to code.
St. Helens Cubs Corner Childcare and Little Lions Day School provides a state-certified childcare center open to the public and serving children ages 6 weeks - 6 years. Our childcare program is the highest rated in the county, rated 4 stars by the state and offers outstanding care by highly qualified teachers, developmentally appropriate curriculum, a balance of academics and social development while providing a learning opportunity for high school students interested in careers with young children.
St. Helens School District
“The St. Helens School District is committed to excellence for all students. Excellence in our schools is achieved through high expectations and meaningful learning for all students. Positive results are gained by great teaching and engaged students and not predictable by gender, language proficiency, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, or disability. Excellence means that all students grow to reach their highest levels year after year and are college or career ready as high school graduates.
SHSD has made great strides in providing rigorous and high-quality education for each student through its focus on the teaching and learning process and individual student growth. We want more students learning to read at an earlier age, more students taking rigorous and challenging courses, and more students being provided with opportunities to succeed at higher levels than ever before.
Cultivating an academic culture of high expectations throughout the district requires the commitment of parents, students, staff members, and communities. Creating this culture also requires several critical conditions to encourage excellence --- high expectations, expert instruction, positive relationships, and cultural competence. To create and sustain these conditions, we need to help all students, staff members, and parents to learn and grow. This requires ongoing, deliberate efforts to build capacity through targeted professional development. We are committed to the fundamental belief that success for all is possible.”
(St. Helen School District Strategic Visioning Plan 2016-2021)
Our Mission is to build a community of learners where students acquire skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary to function productively in a changing world.
To make this school a place where teachers want to teach, students want to learn and the community wants to be involved.
Colors Yellow and Black
Traditions Winter Ball, College & Career Week, Cancer Awareness Week
Student-Teacher Ratio 19:1
The Lion Support Center's mission is to empower all students in the areas of career, academic, personal, social, and emotional development to function productively in a changing world. We strive to develop a safe space for all students, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious beliefs, ability, economic status, or birthplace. The LSC contains offices for academic counselors, social worker, and student support specialist, as well as additional support staff, to assist students.
Athletics & Activities
OSAA sanctioned sports include: football, volleyball, baseball, softball, soccer, golf, cross country, cheer, swimming, wrestling, track, and field. We offer an award-winning Marching Band and Color Guard, Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble as well as Cantante Choir, Choraliers, Chor Leonis, and Voce. There are also numerous clubs and groups students participate in.